1 pre-made pie crust (or you can make your own)
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped ham (deli slices are fine)
3/4 cup chopped bacon
6-oz block of gruyere cheese
3/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Roll out pie crust (if it isn’t prepackaged in a pie tin).
Tip: If you don’t have a rolling pin use a wine bottle.
Tip: Chill crust to prevent it from shrinking
3. Chop bacon and ham.
4. Thoroughly rinse the leek to get out all of the dirt that gets trapped inside.
5. Chop leek.
6. Bake pie crust for ten minutes (this is called blind baking).
Tip: Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork to keep it from rising.
7. While crust bakes, cook the bacon until browned and then add in the ham. Cook browned bacon and ham for 3 minutes on medium heat.
8. Remove meat.
9. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pork fat left over in the pan and sauté leeks for 5 minutes or until tender.
10. Grate cheese.
11. Mix 3 eggs, 3/4 cup half and half, cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, corn starch, salt and pepper.
Tip: save a handful of cheese to top the mixture.
12. Add the leeks and pork to wet mixture.
13. Pour mixture into pie crust and top with left over cheese.
Tip: place pie on a baking sheet to prevent any spills.
14. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: About 70 minutes