• 4 cups water
• 1 cup pearled barley
• 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
• 1/2 tablespoon roasted garlic (See separate recipe for instructions.)
Place 4 cups water, barley, and salt in a medium saucepan, partially cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir occasionally. When barley is cooked, drain off excess water, add olive oil, and toss lightly with a fork. Add in grated cheese, rosemary, and roasted garlic. Cooked vegetables such as zucchini, asparagus, endive, mushrooms, shallots, or fennel may also be added, if desired. Mix well. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings.
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
Cooking time: 90 minutes (including roasting garlic).
Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Carbohydrates: 20 g,
Protein: 3 g,
Fat: 3 g,
Saturated Fat: <1 g,
Cholesterol: 2 mg,
Sodium: 47 mg,
Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.