• 2/3 cup flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 cup beer
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 and 1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs
• 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled and sliced into ½-inch rings
1. Set up a dredging station. Mix the flour, baking soda, paprika, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Pour in the beer, add the egg and whisk until smooth. Place the breadcrumbs in a cake pan or second shallow dish.
2. Separate the onion slices into individual rings. Dip each onion ring into the batter with a fork. Lift the onion ring out of the batter and let any excess batter drip off. Then place the onion ring in the breadcrumbs and shake the cake pan back and forth to coat the battered onion ring. Pat the ring gently with your hands to make sure the breadcrumbs stick and that both sides of the ring are covered. Place the coated onion ring on a sheet pan and repeat with the rest of the onion rings.
3. Pre-heat the air fryer to 360ºF.
4. Lightly spray the onion rings with oil, coating both sides. Layer the onion rings in the air fryer basket, stacking them on top of each other in a haphazard pattern.
5. Air-fry for 10 minutes at 360º F. Flip the onion rings over and rotate the onions rings from the bottom of the basket to the top. Air-fry for an additional 6 minutes.
6. Serve warm with ketchup or your favorite dip.
Serves: 2 to 4
Onion rings are one of our guilty pleasures. These ones aren’t so guilty! It’s so nice to find an onion ring that you can feel good about.