2 cups self-rising flour (see note)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
Note: For the self-rising flour you can substitute a mixture of 2 cups
all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1-1/4 teaspoons salt.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, mustard, salt and pepper in large bowl. Cut or rub in
butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add cheese.
3. Gently stir egg and milk in small bowl. Stir into flour mixture just
until mixture comes together.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gently knead 10 to 12
times. Pat into 8-inch disk. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Cut dough
into 8 equal wedges, separating slightly.
5. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Transfer to wire rack to cool. Makes 8 scones.