2 cups graham cracker or shortbread cookie crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap foil securely around pan. Place on a baking sheet.
2. In a small bowl, mix cracker crumbs and butter; press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar and water. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until berries pop, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add lemon juice. Press cranberry mixture through a food mill into a small bowl; discard pulp and seeds. Set aside.
4. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust. Spoon 1/4 cup topping over filling; cut through filling with a knife to swirl. Place springform pan in a larger pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
5. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath; remove foil. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Pour remaining topping over cheesecake. Refrigerate cheesecake overnight, covering when completely cooled. Remove rim from pan.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + chilling
YIELD: 12 servings.
1 slice: 522 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 174mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.