5 packages (16 ounces each) dried beans: lima, great northern, kidney, pinto
and split peas (enough for four batches of soup)
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons dried chives
1 teaspoon dried savory
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 quarts water
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1. Combine beans; divide into four equal 1-pound batches or about 3 3/4 cups
2. To make one batch of soup: Wash one batch of beans. Place in a large
kettle; add enough water to cover bean. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
3. Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
4. Drain and rinse beans. Return to kettle; add spices and 2 1/2 quarts
water. Bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomatoes and heat through. Remove spices and serve.
One batch makes 14 servings (3 1/2 quarts).
Nutrition information per serving (1 cup):
191 calories, 293 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 35 gm carbohydrate, 13 gm protein, 1 gm fat.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 meat.