5 eggs, separated
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2-1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup butter, softened
4-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in extracts.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
4. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold
in remaining whites.
5. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10
minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
6. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
7. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread
remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling YIELD: 16 servings.