1 cup butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
8 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh pears (about 7 medium)
1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
1 tablespoon 2% milk
3 tablespoons coarse sugar
1. In a small bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt until blended. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in 2 portions so that 1 portion is slightly larger than the other. Shape each into a rectangle; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. For filling, in a large bowl, combine sugar, flour and lemon zest. Add pears and candied fruit; toss to coat.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; add filling.
4. Roll out remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick rectangle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry. Brush pastry with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
YIELD: 2 dozen.
A lattice top serves as a charming frame for this special holiday dessert filled with fresh pears and candied fruit. Add a dollop of whipped cream if you like.
1 piece: 239 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.