4 quarts water
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup sea salt
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup cider vinegar
24 fresh sage leaves
6 bay leaves
2 tablespoons yellow prepared mustard
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cloves
4 quarts ice water
2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
1. In a large stockpot, combine first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 4 quarts
ice water to cool the brine to room temperature.
2. Put one turkey-sized oven roasting bag inside the other; place in a large stockpot. Place turkey inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags,
pressing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate 18-24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up.
Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Rub oil over outside of turkey; sprinkle with pepper and, if desired, salt.
4. Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170° to 175°, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns
5. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + brining Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing YIELD: 20 servings.