• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons half and half
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 slices sourdough, white or multigrain bread
• 2 and 1/2 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
• 2 ounces slices deli ham
• 2 ounces sliced deli turkey
• 1 teaspoon butter, melted
• powdered sugar
• raspberry jam, for serving
1. Combine the egg, half and half and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl.
2. Place the bread on the counter. Build a sandwich with one slice of Swiss cheese, the ham, the turkey and then a second slice of Swiss cheese on one slice of the bread. Top with the other slice of bread and press down slightly to flatten.
3. Pre-heat the air fryer to 350ºF.
4. Cut out a piece of aluminum foil about the same size as the bread and brush the foil with melted butter. Dip both sides of the sandwich in the egg batter. Let the batter soak into bread for about 30 seconds on each side. Then place the sandwich on the greased aluminum foil and transfer it to the air fryer basket. For extra browning, brush the top of the sandwich with melted butter. Air-fry at 350ºF for 10 minutes. Flip the sandwich over, brush with butter and air-fry for an additional 8 minutes.
5. Transfer the sandwich to a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with raspberry or blackberry preserves on the side.
A Monte Cristo sandwich is a “French toasted ham and cheese sandwich”. It has the sweet taste of French toast with the salty flavor of the ham and Swiss cheese to make a pretty divine combination. It’s traditionally served with powdered sugar and a fruit preserve, but there are so many variations of the sandwich that it’s really up to you how you’d like to serve it.