1/2 cup butter, softened
1-2/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup 2% milk
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
3/4 cup butter, softened
6 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon clear or regular vanilla extract
3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
Blue and red paste food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add 1 egg white at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cookie crumbs.
3. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
4. In a large bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add enough milk to make a stiff frosting. Remove 1 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with blue food coloring. Divide remaining frosting in half; tint 1 portion red and leave remaining portion plain.
5. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag; insert a #1M star pastry tip. Fill bag with plain frosting; pipe over 9 cupcakes. With red frosting, pipe 9 more cupcakes. Pipe remaining cupcakes blue; top with sprinkles. Arrange cupcakes on a large platter, forming a flag.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
YIELD: 2 dozen.
Bring on the red, white and blue with these creative cupcakes, perfect for the Fourth of July, Memorial Day or any favorite occasion. With some delicious and colorful frosting and a careful arrangement, your sweet display will be a patriotic nod to our great American flag.
1 cupcake: 338 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.