4 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup butter, cubed
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3 medium peaches, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream and toasted pecan halves, optional
1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°.
2. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Remove from heat. Arrange peaches in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; sprinkle with chopped pecans.
3. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in milk, melted butter and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture.
4. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until stiff but not dry; gradually fold into batter. Pour batter into skillet. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 22 to 27 minutes.
5. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. If desired, serve warm with whipped cream and pecan halves.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
YIELD: 8 servings.
1 slice: 417 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.