6 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
12 DOLE® Pineapple Slices (1 20-ounce can plus half 8-ounce can)
12 maraschino cherries, well drained
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Whipped topping, optional
1. Line the bottom of 12 greased jumbo muffin cups with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Spoon 1 tablespoonful into each muffin cup; top each with a DOLE Pineapple Slice and a cherry.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in the oil, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
4. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping if desired.
Instead of worrying about cutting cake into perfectly even slices, whip up a batch of pineapple upside-down cupcakes instead. All of your holiday guests will get their own treat. Plus, you can cut down on pre-party stress by making these beauties the day before. Just top with a dollop of whipped cream right before serving.
Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Yield: 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes.