• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 12 ounces lean ground pork
• 2 tart, firm apples, peeled and chopped
• 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 4 cups water
• 8 ounces udon noodles, preferably whole-wheat
• 1/4 cup white miso
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes more.
3. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to the package directions, stirring occasionally.
4. When the noodles are almost done, carefully scoop out about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from the pan and combine with miso. Stir the miso mixture into the soup and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings, about 2 cups each