2/3� cup all-purpose flour
1/3� cup packed light-brown sugar
1/3� cup granulated sugar
2� teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/8� teaspoon salt
6� tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1-2/3� cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
2-1/4� cups all-purpose flour
1� teaspoon baking powder
1/2� teaspoon baking soda
1/2� teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4� teaspoon salt
6� tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2� cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2� cup granulated sugar
1� teaspoon vanilla extract
1� cup buttermilk
1� cup confectioners' sugar
1� tablespoons milk
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick
2. Topping: In a medium-size bowl, stir together flour, sugars, pumpkin
pie spice and salt. With pastry cutter, cut butter into the mixture.
Stir in walnuts. Refrigerate.
3. Cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder,
baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
4. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until
creamy and blended, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add
vanilla and beat until smooth.
5. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture in three additions,
alternating with buttermilk. Beat for 2 minutes.
6. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the
topping over the batter. Spoon remaining batter over topping. Sprinkle
remaining topping over top of cake.
7. Bake at 350 degree F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted
in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Loosen
edges with a knife or small spatula. Cut into 12 equal pieces.
8. In a small bowl, mix together confectioners' sugar and just enough
milk to get a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake squares and
allow to set before serving. Makes 12 servings.