• 1lb. hot Italian sausage casing removed
• 6cups reduced sodium chicken stock
• 6 russet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 4 cups chopped kale
• 1 cup heavy cream
1. Warm a Dutch oven or 6-quart pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add Italian sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage as desired, until sausage is browned and cooked through.
3. Drain the sausage drippings from the pan.
4. Return the pot to the heat and add the chicken stock, potatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes.
5. Boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Use a slotted spoon to remove 1 cup of potatoes from the pot and place them in a bowl. Mash the potatoes and pour them back into the pot to help thicken the soup.
7. Add the kale and cream; stir to combine.
8. Continue cooking the soup until the kale is wilted and tender, about 3 minutes more.
9. Add additional salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 313Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20g31%
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Total Carbohydrates 23g8%
Dietary Fiber 1g4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.