Original recipe makes 3 loaves fruit cake
1 1/2 cups candied pineapple chunks
3 cups golden raisins
1 1/2 cups candied cherries
1 cup dried currants
2 ounces candied orange peel
2 ounces candied citron peel
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cups butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
8 eggs, separated
4 cups pecans, chopped
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1. Chop pineapple, raisins, and cherries. Combine chopped fruit with currants, orange peel, and citron; soak in orange juice overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Place a small pan of water in the oven. Line one 5x9 inch loaf pan and two 3x8 inch loaf pans with parchment or doubled waxed paper.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in fruit, juice, and pecans. Mix in sifted flour.
4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to peaks. Fold into batter. Fill pans 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
"My mother has been making this fruit cake at Christmas time for as long as I can
remember. My whole family loves it. I know there are a lot of people out there that have issues with fruit cake, but this recipe has converted even the most reluctant."
PREP 35 mins
COOK 2 hrs
READY IN 10 hrs 35 mins