4 c. shredded zucchini (about 2 lbs.)
1 tsp. salt
½ c. all purpose flour
½ c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1-2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil - for frying
The first step is actually the most important step in this recipe. Zucchini holds a surprising amount of water, and without draining it first, your fritters will end up soggy.
The BEST way to drain zucchini is using cheesecloth, but since most people don't have cheesecloth on hand, a clean hand towel (such as a flour sack towel) will work as a substitute. If you don't have either, feel free to use a paper towel or just your hands!
1. Place shredded zucchini in a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow zucchini to drain for about 10 minutes, then use your hands or a clean dish towel to drain zucchini completely.
2. Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Scoop 2 Tbsp. of batter into skillet for each fritter, then flatten gently.
5. Cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
6. Serve immediately.
Zucchini Fritters are one of our favorite appetizers. A delicious combination of fresh zucchini, parmesan cheese, garlic, and scallions, they're both healthy and flavorful... and so easy to make! If you're looking for a fresh new way to use up your garden zucchini, you'll LOVE these crispy, delicious fritters!
Zucchini comes in all shapes and sizes, and unless you have a food scale at home, it can be hard to know exactly how much you have on hand. This recipe calls for 4 cups shredded, which is the equivalent of 4 small zucchini or about 2 lbs. You could also substitute yellow squash if you have that available.
For the Parmesan cheese, I bought a wedge and shredded it by hand. You can also buy pre-shredded or grated Parmesan cheese from a shaker.
🥓 RECIPE VARIATIONS
Add ½ c. cooked, crumbled bacon
Substitute feta, chedda