2 medium zucchini (about 1-1/2 pounds), shredded
2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
6 large eggs
2 medium ears sweet corn, husked
6 tablespoons butter
2 green onions, chopped
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/4 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1. Place zucchini in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well; blot dry with paper towels. Meanwhile, separate eggs; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Grease a 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish; dust lightly with flour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Place corn in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Cool slightly. Cut corn from cobs and place in a large bowl.
3. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add green onions and zucchini; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour, pepper and remaining salt until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add to corn; stir in cheese.
4. Stir a small amount of hot zucchini mixture into egg yolks; return all to bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
5. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry. With a rubber spatula, gently stir a fourth of the egg whites into zucchini mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites. Transfer to prepared dish.
6. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.
Prize Winning Recipe
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 45 min.
YIELD: 10 servings.
1 serving: 178 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 152mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.